Today’s passage: Philippians 3:1-11
- The Children of God are a people saved by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone. To regard my own actions or physical heritage as grounds for my worthiness of the inheritance is to strip away the gospel itself.
- We are to be on guard and watch out for those who preach anything different.
- Having Jesus is far better than having everything this world can offer.
Questions to consider:
- What is true circumcision for the Christian (Romans 2:25-29)? Instead of physical circumcision being a sign or seal of who we are, what has God given to us as a seal (Ephesians 1:13-14)?
- Why do you think it becomes so easy to identify visible markers like clothing styles, hair styles, Bible types, musical styles, etc. as evidence of “godliness?” What are we doing as a church if those visible items become the measure of whether a person is a Christian or not? And, if we fall into that practice, why will people be motivated to wear the “right” clothes or fit in in any other way?
- Why is Jesus better than this world? How many reasons can you come up with? How does thinking about the reasons (Meditating on God’s Word!) help you to rightly evaluate how you live and what decisions you should make each day?