Today’s passage: Psalm 12
- A flatterer uses words of encouragement to manipulate and take advantage of another. They sound like they are building you up, but in reality they are using their words to use you for their own selfish interest.
- Flattery is dishonesty. The hardest part of being flattered is when you don’t know the person was using you until it’s too late.
- God is not a flatterer. His words are true and pure. His promises are sure.
Questions to consider:
- Why might we be tempted to flatter people? What forms of flattery might be considered “acceptable behavior” and commonplace?
- How does flattery hurt people? What is the better way to speak to people? What has to be true of us before we can genuinely speak kindly to others?
- How can we know that God’s promises are true? What characteristics or attributes of God remind us that He always speaks truth and will fulfill His promises?