Today’s passage: Psalm 23
- God leads us in paths of righteousness. God will never lead anyone to do anything that contradicts His Word.
- Shepherds use their rods and staffs to wack their sheep if they start going the wrong direction. This phrase found in verse 4 is similar to Hebrews 12:6. God’s discipline comforts us because it reminds us that He is watching and actively loving us.
- The Lord does and provides all of these wonderful things for His name’s sake (End of verse 3).
Questions to consider:
- Why would it be wrong to only want God so that I can have everything I “want” with “green pastures” and “still waters”? Why is it infinitely better to believe in and know the true God who does all of this for His name’s sake?
- How do God’s “rod and staff” keep us from evil? How does God’s loving discipline and our desire for instruction and correction help us in this life?
- How does looking to the future, grace that is yet to come, give us greater motivation to pursue God and His righteousness today?