Today’s passage: Psalm 44
- Parents in Israel were commanded to teach their children the Law and tell them of the things that God had done (Deuteronomy 6).
- Prayer comes from a heart of humility and a belief that God is truly powerful and sovereign.
- Even in the midst of suffering, when the Psalmist believed God was not acting according to His promise, he still went to God to make his appeal. There was no running to the gods of the other nations.
Questions to consider:
- Does God ever sleep? Does God forget? Would He reject the people of His covenant promise forever? Why not?
- Did God allow Israel to be destroyed in this instance? Did this Psalmists fears come true?
- Why do you think God put these Psalms of lament in the Bible? Where was the loyalty and the place of hope in this lament that made it a true model for us in times of hurt and confusion?