Today’s passage: Revelation 12:1-6
- Verse 19 from chapter 11 would be good to read first as we enter into chapter 12.
- Three major characters are depicted in this vision: The woman, her son (the male child), and the great red dragon.
- When the dragon sought to devour the child, the child thwarted the hopes of the dragon and eternally pardoned and purchased the people of God (Colossians 2:13-15).
Questions to consider:
- When we think of the Old Covenant, why does it make sense to refer to the woman as Israel? From whom (What people group) was Christ born? From the perspective of the New Covenant, who all could be included in this group that is “the woman?” (Romans 11)
- Is this a passage of loss or of victory? In what ways? Who wins?