Today’s passage: Ecclesiastes 8:10-17
- Doing good or doing evil does not automatically result in an easier or harder (Or longer or shorter) life under the sun.
- Joy is possible whether life is easy or hard.
- All that God does and why He does it is beyond our comprehension. There will always be some mystery under the sun. God is too big for us to completely grasp…and that’s a good thing.
- We can know all what He has revealed to us, and He will always operate within His character and His promises.
- But, He is above our comprehension. We know what we do because He has revealed it to us. We cannot know God as thoroughly as He knows us.
Questions to consider:
- In what ways is it “well” for those who fear God? In what ways are things better for us under the sun, and after this life?
- If a Christian can have joy in good times and bad because of God, what is the cause of the sinner’s sorrow? At the root level, what are they missing out on? What do they need?
- Does it bother you that God is bigger than we can handle? If so, why? What are some reasons we might feel uncomfortable not having total comprehension of all that He is? What might that reveal from within our own hearts?