Today’s passage: Ecclesiastes 9:1-6
- This passage is the beginning of the end for this book. Solomon begins to write the conclusions and recaps the content to drive it all home.
- The first truth: Death comes to all and we do not have control of its arrival or its timing.
- The righteous do not guarantee the postponement of death.
- The wicked are not sure to die earlier than the righteous.
- All will become distant memories and even forgotten eventually under the sun. All that will be known is what was done, recorded and kept…and even then only the perception of others will be what remains.
Questions to consider:
- Why do we all die? What is the root cause? Is it unfair that any of us die at any time at all?
- When we call death unfair, what plain are we operating on, the horizontal or the vertical? With whom are we comparing people? Who is forgetting the past? Where is our popularity fading?
- Who doesn’t forget anything? Who is the One who takes away the sting of death for all those who believe?
- How does living with the reality of death, eternal life with Christ, and God’s sovereignty affect the way we would live today?