Today's passage: Joshua 10:29-43
- The Israelites entered into Canaan in the middle and then headed south. Today's passage gives the summary of defeats through the southern region.
- The narrative shift from giving detailed accounts to a general overview seems to depict an ease with which Israel conquered the land.
- The summary statements of the passage reaffirm:
- Joshua was obeying God's commands.
- Israel was winning because the Lord was fighting for Israel.
Questions to consider:
- It's good that Joshua was obeying God, but why does it specifically say Israel was winning?
- Why would it be troubling to take away from this passage the idea that if I do right, God will have to bless me with victories?
- What is the basis of our blessing? God is giving us victory! Why and on what basis? (Romans 8)