Today’s passage: Psalm 39
- David gives testimony of a desire to hold his tongue…and his subsequent failure to do so.
- In his repentance, he recounts his inability to accomplish that which only the Lord can do.
- Man is a vapor, helpless without the Lord.
- The Lord is our eternal maker who can deliver us from transgressions.
- God’s deliverance in this instance came through the loving discipline of his child David.
Questions to consider:
- If David’s repentance included remembering that God is big and man is small, then what wrong thinking preceded his sinful speech? What was he convinced he could accomplish before he opened his mouth?
- What makes God’s discipline seem more severe, the weight of His hand or the immense affection we have for the things of this world that He must take away from us?
- How does a low view of God encourage sin? How does a high view of God encourage righteousness?