Today’s passage: Psalm 68:1-19
- The old adage “God helps those who help themselves” and Psalm 68 don’t go together. “God helps the helpless” is a much more biblical statement.
- Those who say “We see” remain blind… (John 9:35-41)
- Our adversaries may seem daunting to us. But before God, they are like smoke in the wind or like wax in a fire.
- Verse 18 is quoted in Ephesians 4:8.
- All people are captive in their sin, and God the Son descended to purchase our freedom! (Romans 5:8)
Questions to consider:
- What keeps us from wanting to acknowledge that we are helpless? In what ways are we helpless? How do these truths increase your joy in the Lord?
- How would viewing those who want to hurt us or oppose us through the lens of the truth of Scripture allow us to actually seek to help them and show them kindness? (Romans 12:14-21) What do they need the most? Do they deserve to hear the Gospel any less than you or I did?
- How often does God “bear us up” (Verse 19)? When does God let you out of his hand (John 10:27-29)?