Today’s passage: Jeremiah 41:1-18
- Johanan and the captains, who tried to warn Gedaliah in chapter 40, were right.
- The fact that they ate together in Gedaliah’s home means they had been invited!
- Ishmael was not doing these things to fight for Judah. He was serving the Ammonites.
- Johanan had been concerned that if Gedaliah was killed, the remnant would scatter and leave Judah. Many of these people, fearing the retaliation of Babylon, have now fled (Scattered) to Egypt.
Questions to consider:
- The feel of this chapter is very grim. Why does it make sense that things are this way? What condition is Judah in during this time?
- How might you feel if, even during the conquest of one empire, your fellow countrymen were fighting against your own for yet another enemy?
- In the midst of all the chaos, where did they need to turn? How can we have stability and peace even in the midst of chaos going on around us? (Philippians 4:11-13)