Today’s passage: 1 Peter 1:22-25
- The purification of our souls (for believers) was a past action that is continually producing results.
- God graciously saved us and purified our soul/heart.
- We grow in grace and obedience.
- That growth and obedience is practiced in love toward others.
- And we love because (or “since”) we have been born again.
- This can certainly be thought of as the Gospel motivating us to love…
- However, it is written here as a simple cause/effect. You were born again/purified, therefore you will love. It’s just how God makes it work!
- Our salvation is imperishable because the Word of the Lord, the Gospel, is imperishable! God has made some things to be perishable (Like grass), but your salvation isn’t one of them.
Questions to consider:
- What are some evidences of your “re-wiring” after your salvation? What is happening to you and the way you see others since God has put a pure heart in you?
- Given the process of the out-pouring from the hearts God has given us, how should we expect our change/growth to occur? Would it be spontaneous change or would we see more godliness coming through in a progressive way over time?
- What is the basis of the security of your salvation? Who was/is responsible for your salvation? Who is responsible for the security of your salvation? Why do these questions matter?