Today’s passage: Isaiah 5:1-7
- The name “Lord of Hosts” reminds us that God has never and will never know defeat. Israel, Judah, the people of Jerusalem had the only God who could say that about themselves (Or, frankly, say anything at all).
- God’s “vineyard” in Israel wasn’t vineyards! It wasn’t stuff that people can have. It was the people themselves.
- Israel had everything she needed to grow and produce the “fruit” that God had planted her for.
- God doesn’t exist to give Israel grapes. Israel was there to be fruitful before God.
Questions to consider:
- What is happening in our hearts when we start thinking that God is doing a good job or being slack depending on how much quality we perceive in our lives? How is that mindset totally upside down?
- Christian, did you plant God or has God planted you? How does this change how you read the Bible, how you pray, how you view your purpose in life (Your “calling”)?
- What kind of “fruit” should God be seeing coming from First Baptist Church? (Galatians 5:22-24, Matthew 28:18-20)