Today’s passage: Luke 15:1-10
- The Pharisees should have been rejoicing. Jesus was willing to eat with them too.
- Instead, the Pharisees were thrilled with their own manufactured false self-righteousness. They thought themselves superior to others who couldn’t “keep up”.
- Though they viewed shepherds and poor women as second class citizens, they still would have been happier to hear about them finding a sheep and a coin than they were to hear of a sinner’s repentance.
- When sinners repent, there is real joy in Heaven!
Questions to consider:
- Are there ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance? Outside of Jesus, is there one? What was the point of Jesus’ illustration?
- Who “sought diligently” your repentance? Are you thankful for their obedience to pray for and to share Christ with you? Who might be a “lost sheep” or “lost coin” that you know and could be praying for and seeking diligently?
- How does hearing of the joy of Heaven encourage you in evangelism?