Today’s passage: Luke 5:27-39
- You have to know people who are not saved in order to win people to Christ. Not just know of them, not just know their name, know them.
- Fasting is not a law. Fasting is not something you must do to stay spiritual enough to pass a test. Fasting is something we can do when it’s appropriate.
- The legalism (Works based salvation) of the Pharisees could not handle the Gospel message (New wine in an old wine skin). The Pharisees preferred their damning legalism to the Saviors gracious gift (“The old is good”).
Questions to consider:
- Were the Pharisees actually “well”? Did they really not have need of the Great Physician? How did their view of themselves make them unable to receive help? What should we learn from this? When do we start to take the Gospel for granted?
- What did repentance look like for Levi? What did he do when Jesus called him? Who did Levi introduce to Jesus after He began to follow Him?
- What would be an appropriate reason to fast? When would it seem logical to set aside time, other activities, your meal time, to seek the Lord?