Today’s passage: Matthew 22:1-14
- This parable continues the them from the previous chapter.
- If you are thinking, “Why wouldn’t the invited guests come to the wedding?” That was the reaction desired.
- Perhaps even more amazing, there was a second call. The guests refused to come and the king asked them all a second time. This would have been incredibly gracious and humble.
- The fact that the final guest mentioned did not have a response when asked about his clothing suggests that the guests were given provision. All the other guests, who were also invited and brought in off the street, were properly dressed. This man chose not to “put on” the wedding garments.
Questions to consider:
- After the last few days of reading, who do you think the originally invited guests were? Who are the rest who have now been invited? (Hint: We are in this group!)
- What was represented by the wedding garment? What do we “put on” that makes us properly “attired” for the Kingdom of Heaven? Whose righteousness is given to us?
- Should we expect everyone who hears the Gospel to believe? What does many are called and few are chosen mean?