It is not our church’s practice to endorse political campaigns. We have not invited or welcomed candidates into our services. We do not tell our people who to vote for or even pass out voter guides. Because all this is true, it might seem strange to see an article or to hear an announcement about an issue on this year’s ballot from our church. Though it might seem odd, our other church leadership and I believe it is the right thing to do on this occasion. This is because the issue we desire to bring to your attention is not about a political candidate, but a state constitutional amendment. It’s not very often we get to participate in deciding (In a purely democratic way) what our state’s law will be. However this year, on November 8th, we will.
The issue I am sharing with you is Proposal 3. It is referred to as the “Right to Reproductive Freedom Initiative.” The advertised goal of this proposal is to reinstate Roe v. Wade, ensuring it will remain legal to perform abortions. Since the Roe v. Wade decision in 1973, over 63 million human beings have been aborted in the United States. Over 30,000 children were aborted in the state of Michigan last year alone. That’s approximately 9,000 more than the population of Mt. Pleasant. This is a terrible evil.
Psalm 139:13-16 – “For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.”
If the right to have an abortion were the only component of Proposal 3, that would be reason enough to vote, “No”. Sadly, there’s more. It looks as though this constitutional amendment would also:
- Allow minors to get abortions without parental consent or knowledge
- Allow minors (Male or female) to pursue different forms of sterilization without parental consent or knowledge
- Protect abortion clinics or other health care facilities in cases of malpractice when giving “reproductive care”
- Attempt to force health care practitioners and facilities to provide abortions and other procedures against their beliefs
- Allow abortions at any point in the pregnancy for various reasons including gender, race, disability, and what might be considered mental health concerns for the mother, like anxiety or depression
The list above is not exhaustive. For a more comprehensive treatment and to see the actual language of the proposal you can read this issue brief entitled, “The Perils of Proposal 3” written by the legal team at the Great Lakes Justice Center.
This constitutional amendment proposal is reprehensible. Please carefully steward the influence you have been given by God and vote “No” on Proposal 3.
Here are a couple helpful videos with further information: