Today’s passage: 1 John 2:7-14
- The old and new commandment is, love one another.
- Love is giving of myself sacrificially for the benefit of others. This passage is not encouraging simple fondness for one another, but serving one another.
- Verses 12-14 contain reasons for and the provision of ability to love.
Questions to consider:
- If love is more than fond feelings for one another, what does love actually look like in the church?
- Why is John right in saying that this new commandment is not new at all? What other commands can you think of that tell us to love?
- Why do the truths in verses 12-14 enable us (and those who are older and younger) to love? (e.g. How does our forgiveness enable us to love others? How does the strength of a young man enable him to love others?)