Today’s passage: Ecclesiastes 1:12-18
- The Preacher gave his heart (His inner man) to experience and consider all that is done on this earth.
- Whenever the word vanity is used, the Hebrew word could also be translated as a “vapor” or “mere breath”. (James 4:14)
- When the Preacher says, “To know wisdom and to know madness and folly”, the knowledge goes beyond reading or study. Solomon sought to experience all wisdom, madness and folly. He participated in madness and folly. He found earthly gain in none of these things, from wisdom to folly.
Questions to consider:
- Why is the business of this earth that we have been given “unhappy”? What made it that way in the first place?
- Why can’t man stop the Curse on this earth?
- In what arena does wisdom and knowledge only result in vexation and sorrow? (Hint: Verse 13)