Today's passage: Psalm 57
- The answer to the troubles David was facing was the exaltation of God.
- His enemies (In this case, Saul and his followers) fell into the trap they set for David because they think the answer to their troubles is the elimination of their “troubles” (Namely, David).
- Even though it seems Saul was in the wrong and David was in the right, David cries out to the Lord for mercy (Verse 1). Saul was not David's biggest problem.
Questions to consider:
- What was David's greatest problem? What is our greatest problem? What has God done about it? (Romans 5:8)
- How then does the exaltation of God, the exaltation of Christ bring resolution to our fears and bring a calm and rest in the midst of our tribulations? Why is it better (More powerful and effective) to exalt Christ than it is to constantly seek to put out every fire, expecting a trouble free life?
- Who, in addition to you, misses out on seeing Christ exalted when we choose/prefer the “putting all the fires out” method? How does Christianity start to look like “Just another religion” when we take that route?